Sunday, June 05, 2005

 
I'm Not Going To Pretend I Know What The Hell I'm Talking About...



The only things I can say for sure about kwaito are that it sounds like slow Afrocentric house music, that it's become the default street sound of post-apartheid urban South Africa and that I really love these two tracks. All Stars' "Kwasa Kwasa" is an effervescently pop dance-instruction number with a totally butt-shaking chorus. If it's a-whoopin'-and-a-hollerin', global-yob* berserktitude you're after, though, look no further than "Roba Letheka" by Ishmael, who sounds like he should be Cape Town or Johannesburg's answer to Fatman Scoop. Anyway, here you go...

Kwasa Kwasa - All Stars

Roba Letheka - Ishmael

* Sorry but I way prefer this term to "shanty house"; it's less redolent of slumming, more evocative of solidarity, empowerment, unruliness and good old insubordinate hedonism.